Friday, October 9, 2009

BISCUITS AND BLUES


I recently took a trip to San Francisco with a friend and was treated to dinner at this awesome hideaway restaurant called "Biscuits and Blues." If you love live music, especially blues, and good southern cuisine then you will very much enjoy this venue. Although we initially passed the restaurant, there is an awning over the sidewalk boasting its name. When you walk inside you are met by a hostess in the foyer who checks you in. You then walk down a flight of stairs, turn to your left and are swept into a very cool basement bar/restaurant equipped with a stage and about 20 small round tables with chairs. Booths circle the perimeter of the bar. The artist we saw was Earl Thomas and his band. It was phenomenal. The band was well costumed in suits and pompadours and then there's Earl. He reminded me of a banker who moonlights as a blues singer. Very clean cut but can wail his tail off. Earl keeps the audience entertained with sing-a-longs and cruising through the crowd while belting out his soulful melodies including those from Etta James. After the show I learned that Earl Thomas has an extensive fan base and is a worldwide blues singer. As for the food my friend and I both ordered the fried chicken which wasn't as tasty as my mother's but better than the average restaurant and perhaps some homecooking. All in all Biscuits and Blues offers a good time and I will definitely be back the next time I'm visiting the Bay area.

401 Mason St
San Francisco, CA 94102-1705
(415) 292-2583

No comments:

Post a Comment